Purpose of the Scheme
To encourage crop/livestock farmers ‘harvest’ rainwater to optimize use of water resources.
The Scheme provides partial funding as grant for acquisition of appropriate equipment to collect, store and supply of rainwater on-farm for the sole purpose of agricultural production.
Details of the Scheme
- A grant of 50% on investment costs for installation of rainwater harvesting facilities up to a maximum of Rs 100,000.
- The scheme caters for on-farm installation of rainwater harvesting system on existing shed or construction/putting up of a rain water collecting pond/or any other light structure for collecting rain water.
- Construction of a new farm shed/ store is excluded.
Prospective applicants will benefit from the Scheme only once.
Individual planters/breeders registered with the Small Farmers Welfare Fund (SFWF), Co-operative Societies/Companies engaged in the commercial production of food crops, ornamentals and livestock.
- Holder of the relevant permits/licenses to carry out the farming activities where applicable;
- Have proof of funding for the remaining amount on proposed investment; and
- Holder of title deed or lease agreement (minimum 5 years) for land hosting the proposed rainwater harvesting facility.
Mode of Application
Farmer has to fill the appropriate application form and submit supporting document, where applicable, as follows:
- Copy of registration certificate in case of Co-operative Societies/Companies/Farmers Associations or Copy of Small Planters Welfare Fund (SFWF) registration card in case of individuals;
- Copy of Identity Card for members of Co-operative Societies/Companies;
- Copy of relevant permits, licences;
- Proof of funding from a recognized financial institution (e.g. updated letter from bank); and
- Quotation(s) from the Supplier(s).
- Layout plan
The application form is available at any sub office of the Food and Agricultural Research and Extension Institute (FAREI) or can be downloaded from the Ministry’s website: http://agriculture.govmu.org
The application form duly filled along with the relevant documents and sketch/plan should be submitted at the nearest sub-offices of FAREI.
- Upon approval, an Agreement will be signed between the Ministry (represented by FAREI) and the beneficiary.
- All facilities funded under Rain Water Harvesting Scheme will be utilized solely for horticultural production
- Mode of payment for the scheme will be as follows;
40% on submission of receipts and the remaining 60% on completion report.
Food and Agricultural Research and Extension Institute (FAREI)