The Extension and Training Department ensures technology transfer to the farming community and agro entrepreneurs in the horticultural sector (vegetables, fruits, ornamentals) and livestock sector (cattle, poultry, goat, sheep, deer, rabbit and pig). The main activities include provision of technical advisory services, training and information dissemination, facilitating access to government incentives, field data collection on production, socio-economic and agronomic issues among others.
The services are delivered through three divisions:
- Crop Extension Division
- Livestock Extension Division
- Information and Training Division
The Department is under the responsibility of the Assistant Director (Extension and Training) with a Principal Extension Officer heading each Division and an Agricultural Coordinator for administration and logistics.
To provide a cost effective technical advisory and training service to the farming community for sustainable development of the agricultural sector (vegetables, fruits, ornamentals and livestock).
- Professionalise the sector by improving farmers’ knowledge and skills through technical advisory services and training;
- Improve farm productivity, farmers’ income and welfare;
- Modernise the sector through adoption of new technologies;
- Promote value addition to agricultural produce;
- Enhance food security;
- Improve linkages among farmer, extension, research and other stakeholders; and
- Facilitate access to government incentives and services.