FOOD AND AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH AND EXTENSION INSTITUTE
Notification of Vacancy
Post of Extension Assistant
Applications are invited from qualified candidates who wish to be considered for appointment in the post of Extension Assistant at the Food and Agricultural Research and Extension Institute (FAREI).
Appointment to the post will be initially on a temporary basis for a period of one year. Subject to satisfactory service, candidates may be offered substantive appointment.
II. AGE LIMIT
Candidates unless already employed in the public service or in parastatal organisations should not have reached their 40th birthday by the closing date for the submission of applications.
A. A Cambridge School Certificate with credit in at least five subjects including English Language and any science subject obtained on one certificate or Passes not below Grade C in at least five subjects including English Language and any science subject obtained on one certificate at the General Certificate of Education “Ordinary Level” or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the Board.
Candidates not possessing a credit in English Language at the Cambridge School Certificate will also be considered provided they possess passes in at least two subjects at “Principal Level” and one subject at “Subsidiary Level” as well as the General Paper obtained on one certificate at the Cambridge Higher School Certificate Examinations.
B. A Valid Driving Licence for autocycles of up to 50cc or motorcycles of up to 150cc.
The temporary appointment will carry flat salary at the rate of Rs15,750 a month.
The permanent and pensionable post carries salary in scale:
Rs15,750 x 325 – 17,700 x 375 – 19,575 x 475 – 21,950 x 625 – 23,200 x 775 – 32,500 x 925 – 33,425 (FAREI 24)
V. LIST OF DUTIES:
1. To provide information and services to farmers for on-farm research, demonstration, meetings and other events pertaining to crop and livestock husbandry.
2. To assist –
(i) in timely feedback on farmers’ perception and appreciation of technologies.
(ii) farmers to adopt improved technologies and other groups to take up agricultural activities.
3. To undertake the collection of data on a regular basis as well as through periodic agricultural surveys or censuses.
4. To carry out sampling of soil, leaf and other agricultural materials.
5. To canvass farmers for participation in meetings and other extension activities.
6. To enlist the co-operation of farmers on farm demonstration/trials and assist in running such demonstration/trials.
7. To arrange meetings with farmers, demonstrations and conducted tours.
8. To collect information on crop and livestock statistics and market price, disease and pest incidence, crop damage, livestock losses and farming practices.
9. To undertake simple laboratory operations and assist technical staff whenever required;
10. To use ICT in the performance of his duties.
11. To perform such other duties directly related to the main duties listed above or related to the delivery of the output and results expected from the Extension Assistant/Senior Extension Assistant in the roles ascribed to him.
(i) Extension Assistant/Senior Extension Assistant may be required to work outside normal working hours including Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays and official declared cyclone days.
(ii) Extension Assistant may be required to reside in quarters, if available, when posted on stations.
VI. MODE OF APPLICATION
Qualified candidates are kindly requested to call during working hours at the Food and Agricultural Research and Extension Institute, Head Office, Reduit to collect the application form or to download the application form from the website of FAREI (farei.mu).
Instructions to candidates:
1. Only application made on the prescribed form will be accepted.
2. Incomplete, inadequate or inaccurate filling of the form will lead to disqualification and elimination of the candidate.
3. Applicant should possess all certificates/qualifications at time of application.
4. Copy of certificates, Driving Licence and Identity Card must be attached to the application form.
5. Documentary evidence will have to be submitted for experience claimed & should be attached at the time of application.
6. The onus for the submission of equivalence of qualification (if applicable) from the relevant authorities (Tertiary Education Commission or Mauritius Qualifications Authority) rests on the candidates. Applications will not be considered failing the non-submission of Equivalence Certificate, as appropriate, by the closing date.
7. The post applied for should be clearly marked on the top left-hand corner of the envelope.
8. Application received after closing date will not be accepted.
Note: FAREI reserves the right
(i) to convene only the best qualified candidates for interview.
(ii) not to fill any vacancy.
VII. CLOSING DATE
The duly completed application form should reach the Chief Executive Officer, FAREI, Head Office, Reduit, not later than 3.00 p.m. on 26 July 2019.
Date: 05 July 2019